- 1970 – 1976 Study of Physics at Technische Universität München (TUM)
- 1975 – 1976 Degree in Physics “Diplom-Physiker”; supervisors: Profes. W. Gläser, G. Vogl)
- 1976 – 1982 Hahn-Meitner Institute and Free University of Berlin
- 1981 PhD-thesis: “Localised Diffusion of Fe in interstitial cages” (Prof. Dr. G. Vogl)
- 1992 Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- Habilitation: „Martensitic Transitions in bcc Metals, Diffusion and Phonons“(Prof. J. Peisl)
- 07/1976 – 07/1977 Technische Universität München, Physics Department E21
- 1977 – 1980 Forschungszentrum Jülich, Institute of Solid State Physics, Guest Scientist at the laboratory of Prof. W. Schilling
- 1976 – 1982 Hahn-Meitner Institute and Free University of Berlin; Prof. G. Vogl’s group
- 01/1983 – 09/1992 Institut Laue-Langevin, Grenoble, France. Staff member, responsible for the thermal backscattering spectrometer, group leader of high temperature group.
10/92 to date Technische Universität München
- since 10/1992 Full professor, Chair for Experimental Physics (Functional Materials E13), Physics Department
- 11/1996 – 11/1998 Dean of the Faculty of Physics
- 11/1996 – 11/1998 Member of the Academic Senate of the University
- 07/1995 – 08/1999 Co-chairman of the Directorate of the Munich Research Reactor FRM II and
- 09/1999 – 12/2001 Chairman of the Directorate of FRM II
- 09/2001 Chairman of the International Conference on Neutron Scattering (ICNS2001)
- 01/2002 until 31 March 2018: Scientific Director of “Forschungs-Neutronenquelle Heinz Maier-Leibnitz” (FRM II)
- 2003 Post of Scientific Director of the Research Centre of Rossendorf together with a full professorship offered by the University of Dresden; this offer was not accepted.
- 01/2011 to 03/2018 Director - in a two years' rotation spokesman - of the Scientific Cooperation for neutron research between the Helmholtz-Centres FZJ, HZG, HZB and Technische Unversität München. Since 01/2013 this Cooperation is officially known as Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ).
- 2006 Honorary Professor of the Chinese Institute of Atomic Energy (CIAE)
- 2008 Cross of Merit of the German Federal Republic
- 2018 Honorary Member of the Kerntechnische Gesellschaft (KTG e.V.)
- since 2018 TUM Professor Emeritus of Excellence
Service to the community:
- 10/1997 – 09/2003 Elected Member of „Vorstandsrat der Deutschen Physikalischen Gesellschaft“ (DPG e.V.)
- since 10/1998 until 2017: Elected and coopted member of “Komitee für Forschung mit Neutronen”(Committee for research with neutrons)
- since 1999 Liaison professor of Bayerische Eliteakademie (Bavarian Elite Academy) and since May 2011 member of the board of trustees
- since 2000 Co-organizer of the Edgar-Lüscher training course for grammar school teachers, Gymnasium Zwiesel, Bavaria
- 03/2003 – 03/2010 Chairman of the working group and later of the section of “Metals and Materialphysics” within the German Physical Society (DPG e.V.).
- 2005 - 2019 Board member of the “Deutsches Atomforum e.V” (DAtF); from May 2014 to May 2019 Vice President of DAtF
- since 2007 Member of the steering committee of the Laue Langevin Institute.
- 01/10 – 03/12 Member of the proposal evaluation committee „Experimental Physics of Condensed Matter“ of the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft)
- since 2012 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of NaWi Graz.
- since 04/2018 Advisor to the FRM II fuel conversion group
- since 10/2018 TUM Emeritus of Excellence
- since 08/2019 Member of the Project Advisory Board (PAC) of the European Spallation Source (ESS)
- since 04/2020 Member of the selection committee "TUM Global Visiting Professors"
- since 2020 Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee Instrumentation PIK
Publications: about 370 publications in reviewed journals.